You can try to do this lesson in your curricular class.
Idiomas que hablamos / Languages we speak
- Ask the children if they speak some other languages. Tell the class about languages that you speak or have contact with.
Main Spanish activities:
- Ask children if they know whereabouts we speak Spanish. Show the map to them. Ask if they have been on holiday to any of those places. Make a list on the interactive board or whiteboard.
- Introduce ¡Buenos días! (Good morning!) and ¡Hola! (Hello! or Hi!) as you shake children’s hands around the room.
- We played a game in two groups. Words practised were (Buenos dias, buenas tardes, buenas noches, niño y niña). This was achieved by a visual and co-ordination game. (note:1)
- Encourage children to go around the room greeting others.
- We practise the question ¿Qué tal? (How are you?) and hold up your thumb to illustrate the reply Muy Bien.
Final Spanish Activities:
- At the end of the session, wave goodbye and say ¡Adiós!
You must cut the pictures provided for this activity. You put the children in two teams. Then you call out the first two children from each team. You could use two chairs or two tables where you put all the cards. You say a word or sentence “buenos dias”. Children should pick up the correct card. As soon as they can. If the child is right take the card and put it away from the rest. If is wrong the card stays in the same place. The winner team will be that one with no cards left.
In this lesson children should learn:
- To listen attentively and understand everyday classroom language.
- To learn about the different languages spoken by children in the class.
- To locate the country/countries where the language is spoken.
- To recognise that many languages are spoken in the UK and across the world.
- To practise new language with a friend in and outside the classroom.
The objectives of this lesson are:
- Understand that English is spoken in countries other than the UK
- Understand that Spanish is a language spoken in Spain and elsewhere.
- Respond to and say ¡Buenos días, Buenas tardes, buenas noches! ¡Hola!and ¡Adiós! ¿Qué tal? Muy bien.