Harmonics Analysis are the processes of solving a periodic, non-sinusoidal quantity into small sinusoidal parts. [Ref.19, ch.34]
Any periodic function can be show as the formula below .
Where an and bn are the Fourier coefficients and n is a positive integer and the period of f(x) is 2pi therefore,
In Static Var Compensators, some of the harmonics are generated by the current through the Thyristor Controlled Reactor.
Some of those can be reduced between the transformer and between a 12-pulse operation of the compensator.
Here are some of the problems caused by the harmonics:
- Nuisance tripping of circuit breakers or fuses blowing.
- Erroneous operation of control system equipment.
- Excessive heating and failure of transformers, motors, capacitors, switchgear lighting, cables, etc.
- Electronic communication interference.
- Excessive neutral current.