Interrogatives, â€œinterrogativosâ€ in Spanish are words used to ask questions to get an specific information from the subject who is asked.
These are the main interrogatives in Spanish:
- QuÃ© (What)
- CÃ³mo (How)
- CuÃ¡l / Cuales (Which)
- DÃ³nde (Where)
- Cuando (When)
- Cuanto / Cuanta / Cuantos / Cuantas (How much / How many)
- QuiÃ©n / QuiÃ©nes (Who)
- Por quÃ© (Why)
- Para quÃ© (For what)
Most of the cases you will be able to use the interrogatives above to ask in the same way you do in English, but there is a important difference in the way we ask in Spanish, this is the word order.
In English, the word order in interrogative sentences is normally inverted respect the affirmations.
Meaning that the verb usually comes before the subject. However, word order is quite free in Spanish existing even regional differences.
This could seem to add difficulty to the business but it does not because you can ask using the same structure that you do when you build a positive sentence and make the difference by changing the intonation.
There is another important thing that maybe you have noticed already, the questions marks.
In Spanish, you should remember to put question mark not only at the end of the question but at the beginning as well.
- Refers to a noun which is yet unidentified or unknown. When we ask â€œquÃ©â€ you are asking â€œwhat thing?â€ Examples:
- Â¿QuÃ© hay en la bolsa? (What is there in the bag?)
- No sÃ© quÃ© decir (I donâ€™t know what to say)
- Â¿QuÃ© dÃa es hoy? (what day is today?)
â€œQuÃ©â€ as â€œwhatâ€ can go with prepositions and you should know as we saw in the section of prepositions that they go at the beginning of the question unlike in English.
- Â¿De quÃ© quieres hablar? (What do you want to talk about?)
- Â¿En quÃ© piensas?) (What are you thinking about?)
When we ask â€œcÃ³moâ€ we are asking â€œhowâ€ asking for an explanation to understand the way something is or â€œwhatâ€¦like?â€ Letâ€™s see a few examples:
- Â¿CÃ³mo estas? (How are you?)
- Â¿CÃ³mo se dice â€œfriendâ€ en espaÃ±ol? (How do you say friend in Spanish?)
- Â¿CÃ³mo es tu novia? (What your girlfriend look like?)
We hope we helped with the Spanish Interrogatives. (Spanish info)